Why, oh, why you wonder how this could have happened. A weekend getaway at a nearby campground with family and friends resulted in your arrest on an assault charge. The campground’s other temporary residents included a family that was loud, disrespectful of others and felt as though it could do just about anything it wanted to do, never mind the rest of the campers.
Your attempt to talk and reason with them was met with contempt. A pushing match ensued, and punches were thrown. You belted the other man, who became injured. Now, you sit in a county jail cell, facing a criminal assault charge and understand that this incident may lead to jail time, probation, fines, restitution and, likely, a civil lawsuit. How can you overcome this situation? There are some realistic ways.
Aiding others, self-defense
An important decision for you is to seek the advice of an experienced criminal defense attorney. Getting the charge reduced or dismissed is among your goals. If your case goes to trial, your attorney will skillfully pursue an acquittal.
Here are some legal defense strategies that may work in your favor:
- Self-defense: You were not the aggressor and simply defended yourself against an individual who sought to hurt you.
- Coming to the aid of others: Defending another person from a violent attack represents another critical defense strategy against this charge.
- A justifiable act: Perhaps you feared that your life was in danger. Unless you took prompt action, you would be the victim of a serious assault.
- The duress factor: Painted into a corner, you reasoned that you had to commit a wrongful act in order to prevent yourself from becoming a victim of violence.
- Outcome due to unintended consequences: It was not your intention to harm the other person.
The situation is troubling, but you can overcome it. Please understand that a conviction on an assault charge may have long-lasting effects on your personal life and professional life. Make sure that you have a persuasive argument for your case and that supporting evidence gets heard.