The implications of a criminal charge are serious. They can result in time behind bars, expensive fines and other consequences that can impact the rest of a person’s life. For a young person facing drunk driving charges, this can affect his or her entire college career and future opportunities. It is important for a college student to take this situation seriously and prepare the most adequate and effective defense possible, even if it is a first-time offense.
The long-term implications of a DUI
Minnesota college students have their entire lives ahead of them. They are in school to prepare for their adult careers, and every decision made during this formative time can have long-term implications. Just one DUI can derail a college career in the following ways:
- It can result in loss of scholarships and removal from special programs.
- The student may lose his or her on-campus housing.
- It can impact the opportunity for a professional license in the future.
- The school may suspend or expel a student due to the DUI.
- The student may no longer be able to participate in extracurricular activities or sports.
A criminal conviction of any kind can leave a permanent mark on one’s criminal record, which could have an impact even after a college career is over.
Protecting long-term interests
After an arrest for DUI, it will be beneficial for a college student to seek the knowledgeable guidance of an experienced attorney. A strong defense may help one avoid a mark on his or her record, as well as preserve personal reputation and educational opportunities. It is best to seek counsel as soon as possible after a drunk driving arrest in Minnesota.