It may come as no surprise that being involved in a routine traffic stop on Minnesota roads can prove a stressful and taxing endeavor. Should the stop lead to suspicion of impairment, you may have concerns about the possible repercussions involved and how the fallout of the situation might affect your future.
Even if you maintain your innocence, the results of a subsequent Breathalyzer test may leave you feeling that you stand little chance of protecting your rights and interests. However, Breathalyzer tests might not always prove accurate, as there may be various factors that might skew the results of these tests.
Breathalyzer test results
While Breathalyzer tests may act to measure impairment, studies indicate that there may be various factors that could influence the results thereof. Some examples of these factors may include:
- Machine maintenance: Breathalyzer tests are machines that may require frequent calibration and maintenance; failure to take similar measures could affect the machine’s ability to function properly.
- Miscellaneous substances: Studies indicate that the presence of substances, such as some medications or types of mouthwash, could also affect the outcome of a Breathalyzer test.
- Outdated programs: Like any other machine, Breathalyzer tests require software programs to function, and outdated software may also disrupt test results.
- Proper training: Training techniques may also be a vital component of knowing how to properly administer Breathalyzer tests; lack of training might lead to improper measures that may produce inaccurate readings.
- Nearby environment: Research also indicates that there may be numerous environmental factors that could disrupt readings from a Breathalyzer test, such as fumes or chemicals emanating from a nearby location.
Some types of Breathalyzers may also run on batteries or fuel cells, and lack of charge could influence results of a test substantially.
Challenging a test
Understanding the various factors that could influence Breathalyzer test results may help provide insight on ways to challenge charges for driving while impaired, but the process can still be complex. Knowing how to choose the best path forward might not always prove a simple task, and seeking insight could be integral to preparing to make informed choices about your situation. Seeking guidance may also help provide you with much-needed insight on your legal rights and options as you prepare a strategy to protect your future during legal proceedings.